
I was up and out of the sketchy hotel early in the morning, on the road before 8. I rode around town in circles for almost an hour trying to find the road to Cali. I actually found it fairly quickly, but I stopped to make sure I was on the right track, and the guy I asked pointed back into town and said I was headed in the wrong direction. A few more laps around town and I was finally out of town around 9. The first hour or two was amazing, but very wet and cold. I rode through the Zona Cafetera, the coffee growing region. It was some of the most amazing scenery I’ve ever seen. Dramatic mountains, with coffee and all sorts or fruit covering the mountainsides. The road climbed the hills, then into the clouds. At the top is was almost a complete white out, everything was soaking wet. I came out of the clouds pretty quickly on the other side.

The ride down was also amazing, although much drier then the way up. In a couple of hours I was in the valley, going through Calarca. It reminded me of iding though the wine country in Napa or near Santa Barbara. Beautiful farms on either side of the road, with gorgeous estates and well kept barns. Clearly there is some money around Calarca. I stopped for lunch and coffee at a cool little roadside restaurant. From there it was a pretty easy, pretty fast ride into Cali.



No comments:
Post a Comment