Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Going back to Cali

The ride back to Cali was pretty uneventful, however the scenery, even for the second time was still breathtaking. I get into the city call Stephen and he tell me where to meet him. It’s on the edge of town, so I back out that way. I ride around the shopping center a few times, I can’t find him anywhere. There are tons of people and the traffic is brutal. I finally find him, get back on the bike and it won’t start. I get it running and at the first stop light it stalls and won’t start. After trying to get it started, and trying, very unsuccessfully to push it with his small scooter, we decide we need to tow it. His dad drives out in the car and we hook up a rope. Probably the scariest thing I’ve done in South America, if not in my life.

The rope is attached to my handlebars, the other end to the car’s bumper. Going straight was simple enough, although there are cars and bikes everywhere, it’s now dark and we have a long way to go. Turning was a not so easy, the rope slacks first as the car brakes, then jerks the bike to the side and down towards the hitch. Very Sketchy. After the first few turns I got the hang of it, but still not fun. Braking was also a process, if I got to close to the car, the rope could get caught up in the front tire, not really sure how that would end but I didn’t want to find out. Anyway, finally made it home and got the bike inside.



Stephen, girlfriend, Johanna, and I went up the family’s finca in the mountains. We got there pretty late, so we just relaxed and bit and went to bed early. The finca was beautful. There was a really nice cabin Stephen's grandfather built, all sorts of beautiful flowers, coffee, plantains, oranges, yucca and bananas. Using a machete, we cut down one of the plantain trees and took a huge bunch home with us to ripen.



The next morning his aunt and her boyfriend met us up there. We spent the day at the river where there was a pool and little resort. When we got back the aunt was cooking sancocho. It’s a very typical Colombian stew made with chicken, corn, plantains, pork and I’m not sure what else. Along with a bit of aguadiente, excellent Colombian meal!


Spent the next couple of days in Cali working on the bike and hanging around the barrio. I had a steady stream of mechanics of various specialties coming to the house to help with the bike, most wouldn’t take any money for their time. Otherwise, I just hung out with the family and a few friends of Stephen’s. Most nights were spent hanging out in the park across the street talking to the neighbors.

I also spent a lot of time eating. The family would feed me 4 meals a days, probably more if I didn’t stop them. It didn’t help that I have a habit of saying “si” whenever I don’t really understand a question. Next thing I know a huge plate of food would appear and I felt compelled to clean my plate. Braised beef, ribs with lentils and rice, roast chicken, chorizo, sweet plantains, fried plantains, arepas con queso…all of so delicious.

I had planned to take a cab to the airport, it’s a little ways out of town and Stephen had done enough for me, but he insisted. It’s time to leave and half the family piles into the car with us- a couple of aunts and little Juan Guillermo. Then they insist on coming in with me and waiting until my flight left. I’m starting to feel like one of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment